I just felt like... 20 Miles at Mile 0


- The one where I ran 20 Miles at the inaugural Mile 0 Flint Hills Trail Race -
A ...  Bearded Runner ADventure   - if you will -    lovingly called a "BR.AD"



That was a long journey that went by way too quick!  

Plans started for this back on November 12th - just 6 days after I finished my target Half Marathon. Jennie invited me to Mile 0, how could I say no?   
I needed something for the next training session with Run Coach Nick (PR Project) and even though we discussed doing the 50k, we opted for the 20-mile. 


Little did I know that just a few weeks in to training, my Left Hamstring would 'POP' causing severe pain.  From Dec 8th through Dec 20st I "Rested" (just a few easy runs) with hopes it would heal on its own like it did last time back on Aug 28th just before the finish line at RTP ...
Nope, on Dec 21st the Hamstring 'Popped' again, not once but twice in one run :( 
Due to these injuries, I had to put my run plans on hold, pause PR Project and concentrate on recovery.  I could walk but there was excruciating pain when attempting to run, bruising from knee up.



Well, turned out that my running buddy just happened to be a Strength Coach at Empowered Physical Therapy.  She got me down the right path forming good habits to build on.  During our runs I was able to discuss the pains as they were occurring and we formulated a recovery/prevention plan for not only the hamstring but everything running related so this would not happen again!



Work started Dec 24th with isometrics, dynamic stretching, yoga routines, rolling, cycling, and slowly adding in strength training.  Putting in the work DAILY (up to 3 hours a day at the beginning) formed the healthy habits I needed to return to running and build the confidence I needed to go further, faster.

On Feb 8th I was back with PR Project and on Feb 14th I started the "Run Empowered" 'Strength for Runners' program and training for "Mile 0" was back in motion !
- 8 week 'Strength for Runners' program
- 12 week training cycle with PR PRoject
- 16 weeks working with Kaitlin
- 19 weeks since Hamstring injury
- 50 lbs down 
- 470 days no alcohol

April 16th I ran 20 miles ...  seriously...  I 'ran' 20 miles  !!!   
- I did not walk - I just can't believe it but I guess I gotta,  because I was there ;) 


Just warming up around mile 3



Yes... I stopped for a hug at mile 4.5 at the aid station (you would have too)
#HugStop



I took a picture at the 10-mile turnaround (it's a MUST)
#PicStop



Around mile 11 - at the aid station after the turnaround, I had to get serious as the hard part was coming ... Randy (816 run club) ran with me for about 1/10th of a mile, It was perfect timing! 

Pic by Randy, got the volunteer running with me for a bit too (she needed my bib number)



Around mile 11.5 mother nature called and around mile 12.5 I stopped to refill my water ... 
#PitStops

Feeling STRONG around mile 17




I did not 'walk' - I ran my race and it was a VERY emotional last mile.
Crossing the finish line was such a great feeling and an awesome accomplishment!



So glad Jennie (and Samantha) were there ...  It was an honor getting to work with them

10th overall, 6th male, 1st in age group ...
Plan was to finish with an Average pace under 10:00/mile for a 3hr 20min finish
Ran it at an average pace of 9:49 pace and a finish time of 3:16;46


I am so happy for the support group that I have, really helped through the challenging times when I was unable to run... you kept me sober and on track. 
Very grateful that I am able to work with Nick and Kaitlin as coaches and I look forward to seeing what the future brings

Honored to be an ambassador for Midwest Endurance Company.
Right from the beginning I could tell it was going to be something special and it was!  Mile 0 might have been the inaugural race but it was ran spectacularly.  The work behind the scenes, the volunteers, the swag, the banjos at mile 14 (at least I think I heard some), and even lining up contrails in the sky to match the logo for my finish picture - all just very well thought out ! 




Thank you Jennie and Samantha for this ADventure, I am looking forward to the next one ! 







That's all for now,

Scott



Mail to:  BeardedRunnerKC@gmail.com



Midwest Endurance Company

Sept 3, 2022 - Ultrapalooza 100 Mile, 100k, 50 Mile, 50k, Half marathon 
- https://www.facebook.com/events/981217759470548
Oct 1, 2022 - Trail Hogger 100 Mile, 50 Mile 25 Mile Gravel Bike race

Run Coach - Nick Pigg

Strength Coach - Kaitlin Way 




Try Code BeardedRunner - it may save you some $$ at these races;
- Bodies races, code is BeardedRunner25 for 25% OFF

April 16, 2022 - Bodies Spring Sprint
May 21, 2022 - Flash Dash 5k
June 11, 2022 - 5th Year Eldon Rock Island Road Race 5k/10k/15k
July 2, 2022 - Bodies Summer Sizzler
July 9, 2022 - Law Dog 5k/10k
Aug 28, 2022 - Hearts for RMHC 5k/10k (new location) English Landing 
    - This will also be the 3rd year I will be a sponsor for this one (my Logo on back of shirt)
Sept 3, 2022 - Ultrapalooza Labor Day Trail Race
Sept 17, 2022 - Bodies Fall Finish 5k/10k
Oct 7 & 8, 2022 - Frog Hill 5k & Half Marathon  
   - https://www.facebook.com/froghillhalf
Oct 15, 2022 - Garmin Kansas City Marathon  
   - https://www.sportkc.org/marathon
I-35 Challenge (no discount code for this but I am an Ambassador for both)
Oct 16, 2022 - Des Moines Marathon  
Oct 30, 2022 - Bodies Spooky Sprint 5k/10k
Nov 11, 2022 - Bodies Turkey Trails 5k/10k
Dec 17, 2022 - Bodies Candy Cane Course 5k/10k

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I just felt like... 2022 in Review

I just felt like... training for LHH